For Sale, Wanted or to Hire For Sale Birth notified weaner gilts for sale

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi, We have been let down with a sale of 5 Princess Joan/Sambo gilts. They are almost 10 weeks old now and desperately seeking a new home. Any offers in excess of £30.00, please phone 01239 851895 and speak to either Gerry or myself or email at gerdot@fsmail.net
    Cheers Dotti

#6106 Reply
    Anonymous

where do you live?

#6110 Reply
    Anonymous

What weight are they?

#6115 Reply
    Anonymous

Hi James, We live in West Wales about 20 miles north of Carmarthen.
    and Chris they are very spotty so you probably would not be over interested.
    Cheers Dotti

#6117 Reply
    Anonymous

I have emailed you again dotti, i will probably take all 5.
    chris

#6118 Reply
    Anonymous

Oh go on, can someone please tell me the relationship between weight and spottiness?

#6121 Reply
    GOS
    Participant

Chloe

Surely you’ve come across a ‘heavily spotted pig’!!!!

Richard

#6122 Reply
    Anonymous

When buying meat pigs i usually go for white, usually some commercal in them so they grow quaicker, and the abbatoir dont like coloured pigs!![;)]

But i personally dont mind as longas they grow ell and are healthy and happy. These gos will be for our private sales, the white ones are for butchers.

#6142 Reply
    Anonymous

Chris at Neath did not buy these GOS for Pork, Bacon or private sales. He let us down at the last minute as did Nigel Layton. The latter have now been sold but in future we will not entertain timewasters. Both my husband and myself work full time outside of our small holding and are getting extremely fed up with empty promises of purchases. Chris always wants to know every precise details about the pigs down to what their line looks like etc. He has said before that he only wants white pigs so I really do not know why he bothers with the gloucester site at all. The five birth registered gilts went to Lincolnshire where the buyer wanted prime animals at any distance. Chris wont even take the hours journey from Neath to west Wales to view for himself. Right, now that I have vented my spleen the difference between weight and spots is that Chris does not want spotty pigs but he wants the heaviest pig for the cheapest price. Personally I look for quality!!![:(!][:(!][:(!]

#6143 Reply
    Anonymous

I will email you Dotti, i prefer to keep business private not public.

#6144 Reply
    Anonymous

Richard: that’s nearly as bad as the story I was told as a kid – that Saddlebacks produced black pudding for the most part, with the white belt being the pink sausage…. It was years before I understood!

On a serious note: we nearly ran into trouble on the coloured pigs business at one of the Glasgow abattoirs. One of the vets kept turning LBs and BKs back for skinning on the grounds that pigment in the skin was “dirt.” Happily the problem seems to have gone away, but for a short while I had SEERAD and BPA lining up to lift the cudgels against colour discrimination. I suppose the butcher purchasing the carcase must be allowed personal preference, but it really is absolutely ridiculous . . . .

#6145 Reply
    Anonymous

Chloe, i only prefer white pigs for the butchers as they tend to be a cross with better shape, i personally think there is nothing wrong with coulerd spotted pigs but i am governed by what the end buyer of the pigs off me wants.

Just read Dottis post again and it has wound me up, quality, i cant think of many “quality” meat pigs that are 6 month old and for sale at £50, can you???
    Or from an earlier conversation with Dotti’s other half meat pigs that were november born and 20-25kg in april?

Goobye from me.

#6146 Reply
    GOS
    Participant

Chloe

I hadn’t heard that about Saddlebacks before but it makes a nice tail.

I have however come across the problem with coloured pigs on several occasions. As you may know through the TBMM Company, we use around 50 abattoirs around the country and have had reports of vets (usually but not exclusively foreign) mis-interpreting the regulations and insisting on spots being cut out, black pigs skinned, and heads being removed because coloured stubble remained around the eyes, ears etc. Experience shows that a swift call to the regional office of the Meat Hygiene Service and contact with a senior vet always results in no repetition of the problem at that abattoir. This works in England and Wales but I have no experience in Scottish abattoirs I’m afraid.

If it happens again do feel free to call me.
    Richard

#6150 Reply
    Anonymous

No Chris the latest litter born in March were 20 – 25Kg when they were sold which you were I believe interested in. These have now been sold to a very nice gentleman in Lincolnshire who spent more on Diesel than he spent on the weaners. Yes the ones you were coming to see were born in November and the reason we still have them is because people keep dropping out at the last minute without seeing them. They will of course now be bacon and sausages – we do not have a problem with this. The reason they were so cheap was to move them on to save us having to keep feeding them as I am not quite in a position to do my own curing and I did not wish to keep my butcher in clover by paying his extortionate curing prices. It would have been a pleasure to do business with you – perhaps you should have referred your friend to us and cut out the middleman!
    Cheers Dotti.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Birth notified weaner gilts for sale
Your information:

3 + 5 =