Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Can anyone tell me the going price for GOS weaners?

#6613 Reply
    High Green Farm
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by janet7880

Can anyone tell me the going price for GOS weaners?

How long is a a piece of string?

I have paid up to £65 for birth notified gilts and as little as £30 for unnotified boar weaners. But to a certain extent your price is determined by how much people are willing to pay. I know of some people who produce far more than me and price at £65 for gilts and £50 for boars (all both notified), and have a full order book.

But as I produce a few litters a year, I can’t provide the the regularity of supply, so therefore my prices will be lower. I would like to be able to sell at £50 for gilts and £45 for boars.

I had great trouble selling in the middle of the summer, and looking at the freeads there are a lot of weaners at the moment priced between £25 and £65 so its hard to give a price.

Ultimately charge at a level that covers your costs, and are in line with what people locally to you are selling, but once you’ve set a price, then stick to it. Its a premium product so should be priced as such, and is not comparable to either commercial or crossbreed prices.

James Tucker
    High Green Farm
    Suffolk

#6616 Reply
    Anonymous

Hi, the price of your weaners at £50-£65. what age are they at selling time?
    i sell my weaners at £5 a week(£30 at 6 weeks). they might have to go up soon because of food prices but a i know can sell at this price.

Matt

#6617 Reply
    fowgillfarm
    Keymaster

Like james i sell gilts at 8 weeks old birth notified @ £65 and birth notified boars same age at £40, i also find it difficult to sell weaners born in the latter end of year though because of FMD restrictions our breeding plan has got knocked out of shape as the boar couldn’t come to us when we needed him, he’s here now so we’re about 3 or 4 months out of schedule and will hopefully have a litter early next year.
    I’ll actually need to buy in some weaners in the New Year so if anyone in the northish(!) has litters due in the next fortnight please let me know.
    Mandy

#6618 Reply
    Anonymous

I’ve had them advertised since 8 weeks old at £55. They are now 14 weeks and I just don’t seem to be selling them. Only got rid of 2.

#6623 Reply
    fowgillfarm
    Keymaster

janet can’t understand why not selling [?]you’re slap bang in the middle of the uk in Chesterfield with good access roads all around, where’ve you got them advertised? and do your ads say where you are in the uk? could try putting them on Smallholder magazine website or river cottage forum, you may need to spread your advertising wider than in your locality. How many you got left?
    HTH
    Mandy

#6625 Reply
    Anonymous

I have just advertised them in the asmag and on this site. I currently have 2 gilts and 3 boars. They are now 15 weeks old and I have been asking £55, which I didn’t think was excessive for the age.

#6643 Reply
    Anonymous

quote:

I have just advertised them in the asmag and on this site. I currently have 2 gilts and 3 boars. They are now 15 weeks old and I have been asking £55, which I didn’t think was excessive for the age.

#6644 Reply
    Anonymous

quote:

haven’t quite got the hang of this yet! whereabouts are you and are the gilts registered or birth notified? What is their pedigree/breeding line, I have a young sambo boar and am looking for a gilt to breed from next year.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: weaners
Your information:

13 + = 21