For Sale, Wanted or to Hire Wanted wanted in pig sow/ or weaner gilts

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi im looking for a in pig sow or 2 gilts registered if poss,located no far from lutterworth leicestershire new old spot keeper so a nice dosile sow and plenty of advice would be great.

can any one help me get started?

Thanks Giles

#7483 Reply
    Anonymous

Have now got 2 gilts sorted still looking for in pig sow .

Thanks Giles

#7488 Reply
    Anonymous

Hi Giles, I have an in pig 11 month old Gilt for sale. She is Bluebell X Sambo. I have her mother here who is friendly and a good mother. The gilt is pedigree registered and in pig to Gerald Boar and due to farrow in July. I am near Grantham if any interest.

Regards Sylvia..

#7511 Reply
    Anonymous

Just Collected my first two gorgeous gilts from kate clifford a big thanks to her and Ron for the welcome advise and great pigs .
    Thanks Giles

#7512 Reply
    Anonymous

ohh reading this interested pricking of ears!! you must’ve done it to collect from above the mile limit, where did you go to do the test you need to do to collect from over certain miles/time stuff? I can’t remember how many miles (think about 40 all round isn’t it) or hours but I know as am thinking of taking mine to shows that I’m going to have to do the test thing to be able to take them!! yet more cost I imagine but needs must!! LOL

any hints would be great, spesh what it entails and do you get a Q&A section!! [:D][:D]

#7513 Reply
    GOS
    Participant

There has been a small amount of discussion on this under the Rules & Regulations section of the FAQs if you haven’t seen it already.

#7514 Reply
    Anonymous

The regulation does not apply to the transport of animals not in connection with an economic activity so as i only keep them as a hobby im pleased to say i was exempt.

#7516 Reply
    Anonymous

if you have one pig you breed from they class it as just that bulrush so be aware for the one in pig you’re trying to find just in case (you can get away with it with the uncovered gilts no doubts), that ‘hobby’ pig will come under the legislation, thanks GOS, just read and saw it’s 60km tho isn’t giving off much info on there from personal experiences of members here…. annoying tho that we keep ours as pets and as a hobby too, but because sell the piglets (at a loss I’ll add) we’re classed as an ‘economic activity’ with two sows and one boar….we had 11 piglets last time, didn’t even cover corn costs, great business….! [8)]

if you plan to show (like us, tell us when…can chase loose gilts together LOL) or get more and sell the piglets and source your newbies from further afield…you will need the licence, and TS are starting to check up apparentely, or they are round here anyway, probs to ensure folks are, like not paying enough out, dunno why pig keeping numbers are dropping, way to go the powers that be…. [xx(]

#7522 Reply
    Anonymous

I would just like to say before buying my pigs i spoke to my local TS to seek their advise on this regulation! I have now decided not to purchase an in pig sow.

Thankyou to everyone who contacted me.

Regards Giles

#7523 Reply
    GOS
    Participant

I am sorry to hear that you won’t be proceeding Giles. Can I ask what it was your TSO said that made you change your mind?

Richard

#7524 Reply
    Anonymous

Nothing to do with TSO .
    I have decided to see how i get on with the gilts first, attend a few shows and talk to a few more people . infact my local TSO is very helpful.
    Dont panic i am totaly sold on old spots! but as a novice and having received a few words of advise from more experience keepers including carrhallpigs on this site i think maybe i need to find out more to avoid any problems.

Regards Giles

#7525 Reply
    Anonymous

let us know when you’re going to some shows bulrush, would love to come along and support a fellow spottie keeper! [:D]

in fact you’ll be more experienced in the show ring than me by sounds of it so I’ll be picking your brains – failing that I’m great at cleaning if you need your piggles washing down at the show!![8D]

it’s so annoying though isn’t it, they aren’t cheap to keep, you don’t make much if at all and sometimes you just can’t locate something that’s round the corner from you that you like but are barred by distances, makes no sense, I could drive with trailer to lands end if I wanted to go pick up a horse from there, but a pet pig, no chance….[xx(]

I’m going for mine so in the future won’t be deemed by distance for a potential new piggy…dreading it I’ll be honest (hence the excitement at thinking had found a fellow victim LOL), FIL says nothing to worry about (he had to do it for his sheep) but he’s a solicitor who knows the ropes, I’ll be stumped! LOL

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: wanted in pig sow/ or weaner gilts
Your information:

7 + 1 =