This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 14th May 2010 at 11:10 am.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I’ve been thinking about fencing off part of my neighbors woods for starting with pigs this year instead of using part of one of their fields, Would this be a better environment for them?

Richard.

Anonymous

Mine go into woods in the summer for shade, they love it.

Judith
    Participant

My pigs have lived in woods for over 40 yrs. I do have some what less trees now but the extra light enables more foliage to grow.
    Its certainly better than seeing a lovely field turned over. I then have some nice grass to let them on when the weather is dry. This winter with all the snow we have had the trees left sheltered clean area’s for the pigs to still root around in. Your pigs will be extremly happy I am sure. Good luck with your new venture.

Judith

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Anonymous

A thought came to me last night that could put a halt to the proceedings…There are three deer left after an RTA down the road a few weeks ago that live in and around those woods, Deer have a habit of getting tangled up in fences, I was planning on having a 5/6 strand electric fence, I think modern energisers cut off after so long of going to ground but nevertheless it would let the pigs out with nothing but open arable land for miles.[B)]

Any suggestions?

Richard.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Starting Out in Pig Keeping’ is closed to new topics and replies.