This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3rd June 2010 at 8:38 am.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

After a break of fifteen, no, better make that closer to twenty years I’m going to return to keeping GOS pigs again.
    I’ve got some wild boar crossed with Large Black to go for the chop sometime in August and then the decks will have been cleared ready for some new arrivals.
    Which of the female lines that are available would benefit from having another pig keeper keeping them? I’d like to do my little bit towards keeping a rarer line going if at all possible. I realise that availability would be something that I’d need to take into account. Are there any lines that are in need of assistance and if so, is there a reason for them being thin on the ground?
    On a connected topic, I recently asked on another forum about AI and pigs.I’d like to avoud having to keep a boar if at all possible but the concensus of opinion from people replying was that AI was not particularly successful when compared with the natural process. What sorts of results and experiences have people on here had?
    I’m looking forward to getting back into keeping these beautiful pigs and will need lots of help and advice.
    Thanks in anticipation.[:)]

Anonymous

Bodger,

In the 2009 BPA GOS survey the females lines with the fewest females were Star, Princess Freda, Dahlia, Primrose and Countess. Can’t comment confidently on reasons for lack of numbers as I haven’t been in the breed for long enough(although there are some posts on the forum explaining the Primrose issue already)

Glad to hear you’re wanting to support the breed again!

I’ve used AI on gilts with no issues but I can see that problems could occur if seasons were difficult to spot.

Allison

Anonymous

Hi – regarding AI, I have tried it but with no success, so decided to buy myself a boar, who is called Eddie. He is only 10 months old, but is a lovely addition to my small herd of four gilts. The nice thing about keeping your own boar, is that you do not have to rely on anyone else and because he is part of the herd, he just does what comes naturally and you do not have to worry about whether your pig is in season and rushing around trying to get her to an available boar or a boar to you and all the paperwork that that involves.

I always thought boars would be difficult, but even though I acquired Eddie at nine months of age, he has lots of attention and is a complete dear. I would say my four girls are a lot more ‘stressy’ than him. I also now have the excuse to expand my herd, which I am actively looking to do, when the right gilts are available.

Tess

Anonymous

Do members see differences between the various female lines and if so, what distinct characteristic do certain lines tend to show that single them out?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Starting Out in Pig Keeping’ is closed to new topics and replies.