This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13th June 2010 at 10:05 pm.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Is it possible to keep entire males together without fighting?

Richard.

Anonymous

Do you mean breeding boars or porkers?

Anonymous

we keep our porkers together, we don’t for breeding one’s though as they can get very territorial over their laydee’s! [;)]

Anonymous

Breeding Boars.

fowgillfarm
    Keymaster

No my advice would be to never keep breeding boars together.
    We have a senior retired boar and our junior boar. They would fight each other to the death and regularly try to do so through the fence when they get chance. They once managed to breach security and had to be separtated by water jets from the hosepipe and dustbins over their heads, not fun i can assure you and downright scary. If you want to keep two breeding boars, make sure they have enough work to occupy them and keep them well apart.
    With porkers we have kept males together upto 30wks without any problems but bear in mind we only keep 3 at a time not loads.
    HTH
    Mandy

Anonymous

I have kept 5 brothers together up to pork weight with no problems. I would never let my 2 adult boars get in sniffing distance of each other. When I got my older boar he had been in a fight with another one and had some horrible injuries and now has nasty scars.

Anonymous

breeders nope wouldn’t risk it, we’ve had two in the last litter that went for meat that started on each other at 25 weeks, first time though but showed what can happen, even Jack, our that laid back that he’s half comatose usually boar would I’ve no doubts get very ar$ey about another in his territory, not worth the risk definately, I wouldn’t want to get in the middle of a pair of couple of hundred kilo boar’s on a mission with each other, if they really go for it nothing you do will seperate them, it’s like two cockerels together, doesn’t seem to end well (though we have two aged cockerels who get on like a house on fire and defy the usual logic) [:)]

Anonymous

Can anyone suggest a way of keeping entire breeding males on the same plot of land without them being together?

Richard.

fowgillfarm
    Keymaster

Depends on what you mean by plot of land. Are we talking allotment size, acre field?
    Best ways would be to divide it into smaller paddocks with permanent fencing (would not trust only electic fencing between boars)We have 3 smaller padocks and safely keep one boar in one end paddock, one boar in the other end and then put fatteners in the midddle paddock. Lady friends visit working boar as and when required and old senior boar has a barren gilt as company and the fatteners in the middle keep him entertained as well as he likes to march up and down the fence like a sergeant major commanding his troops![:D]

Anonymous

quote:

[i]Originally posted by fowgillfarm@hotmail.co.uk[/i]
    [br]Depends on what you mean by plot of land. Are we talking allotment size, acre field?

It will be at least an acre if not more.

Richard.

Anonymous

pig wire, or stock wire as is sometimes called, decent strainers, posts shorter spaced if can afford it, then leccy wire either side, not only for extra security but to stop ’em rubbing on it as well! is what we’re doing in our paddock to half and half it for our two [:)]

hubby is an agri contractor and err’s on the side of caution with stock fencing mind [:)]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Starting Out in Pig Keeping’ is closed to new topics and replies.