This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3rd August 2011 at 9:46 am.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi, I went to our local market at the weekend and saw a lady selling pork with no labelling at all. Sausages, bacon, pork pies etc. I asked her jokingly how she was getting away with this and she said that if you sell direct to the customer and not through a retail outlet, then you do not need any labelling. Is this right?

Anonymous

not as far as I know when spoke to Trading Standards! I’ve lost all the bumph now but I know they said to friends/family then you were ok however to general public we had to list the % of seasoning, pork, fat, water, etc etc in say sausages!

I’ve no idea if changes from county to county but that’s what they told us, we sell ours to family anyway so it doesn’t fall under it but if we did farmers markets like considered we’d have to, it’s one of the things that put me off because wasn’t sure how to work out the seasonings, etc into % to label them, much less how to get the labels printed for a decent price (weighing and pricing with printed label scales cost a fortune!)

if anyone knows the cheap ways let me know! [;)][:D]

ps/ I’d say if we were being picky that a stall at a market could indeed be classed as a ‘retail outlet’ couldn’t it?

Anonymous

I sell at the country market and you are right you have to label stating % meat content and any additional ingredients this is for raw products not sure about cooked products

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Rules and Regulations’ is closed to new topics and replies.