This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Judith 11th September 2012 at 10:33 am.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I really don’t want to take up too much of people’s time but I have a few questions I wanted to ask. I am new to GOS pig keeping and just had our first litter. I’m about to advertise them but wasn’t sure on a few things:
    1. I have metal ear tags for identifying the pigs which I have used in the past for white pigs (before we went the GOS route) but notice many use ear tattoo. My tags just have my holding number, and are not individually numbered. I’m just a bit unclear of what I should use? Ideally I’d like to use my metal tags as I have the kit.
    2. All my litter will be birth registered but I have noticed that some of you advertise as being suitable for pedigree registration. How is this based?? How do you decide what is good breeding stock. Is that just based on experience of how the gilts are built/look?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Judith
    Participant

Hello and welcome to GOS pig keeping
    First of all how are you identifying your pedigree pigs for birth notification.
    Judith

Judith

oaklandspigs
    Participant

Pigs need identifying for two puposes
    1. legal
    2. Pedigree

On the legal front, if you are selling pigs under a year old – in your case selling weaners – and moving pigs live to another holding (as opposed to an abattoir for slaughter)then they can move on a temporary mark. This can be as simple as a animal marker spray paint. The paperwork should match the mark you make – eg red coss on shoulder, blue stripe on side, yellow dot on rear. If you did use your metal tags, the person buying would need to attach their own tags if/when the pigs moved again, and if this was to an abattoir could lead to two tags on the pigs with different numbers – your original and theirs – and this will just add to confusion at the abattoir, so using a temporary mark is best. There is no need for individual identification of pigs for LEGAL reasons, unless they are being taken to agricultural shows or being exported.

I will leave a GOS expert to tell you how to select and mark pedigree pigs, and this is where individual numbering will come in.

Anonymous

Hi Judith,
    Many thanks for your reply. I guess I need to get a new tagging system just for that, unless i can stamp/engrave my existing metal ear tags (these only have the holding number). I’ve not done the birth notify yet.
    All new to me and i just assumed i could use my existing tags, not having experiance of ped pigs.

Starting to panic!!!!

Matt

oaklandspigs
    Participant

Don’t panic !!

Ok so outside the legal side, you need to consider whether to mark your pigs for the pedigree side.

There are three possible cases
    1. You are selling weaners to people who are just going to fatten for themselves or sell meat as being from outdoor reared pigs. Here the piglets need no registration or marks apart from the legal ones posted previously.
    2. You are selling weaners to people who are going to fatten or sell meat and want to describe it as “Gloucester old Spot” Pork/sausages/pies/whatever. Because GOS is an EU protected name, they will not be able to call it GOS pork unless they can prove its origin, which means that the piglets must be birth notified and must be tattooed/tagged in accordance with the BPA rules (see below)
    3. You are selling weaners to people as potential breeding stock. Here you should you be selecting for the breed standard, as well as birth notifying and tattooing/tagging.

So for cases 2 and 3, you need to tattoo or tag for the pedigree side. If you are just doing case 1. above then you’ll only need the legal side of marking them.

IF you choose tagging, you’ll need to buy some new typically button plastic tags, and double tag your pigs, but you’ll need to get permission from the BPA first. However this can still cause problems in lost/pulled out tags, and once you start tagging you cannot later change your mind. Tagging restricts your options for later as well, eg you cannot show tagged old spots, and the Club strongly recommends you go for tattooing instead.
    You’ll need to buy a tattoo kit, and the forum thread under Forum/FAQ’s/pedigree registrations and look at the pedigree registrations sticky at the top will give you all you need to know about what to do.

Judith
    Participant

Hello Matt, I have sent you an email. I expect its all sounding a bit complicated. Its not that bad when you get into it.
    Are you a member of the BPA.
    Judith

Judith

Anonymous

OAKLAND PIGS: Many thanks for your reply, really helped. I guess i was very green when i bought my original tagging kit but at that point I’d never thought about Pedigree pigs. Its unfortunate that I’ll have to buy a new kit but thats all part of this crazy but amazing hobby i guess.

JUDITH: Many thanks for your help too. I did’t get the email?? Could you resend it please: mcbailey@talk21.com. I am a member (joined last week) of the BPA.

Your all stars!!! Thanks again 🙂

Matt

GOS
    Participant

Just one small point about Oaklandspigs response above in their paragraph numbered 2.

The fact that GOS pigs have a TSG status does not necessarily stop you labelling produce from same as ‘GOS pork’ or what have you. However, and this applies to any pig breed, you cannot label the produce with the breed name unless you can prove that it is from that breed and the accepted way of so doing is to birth notify and permanently identify the pigs with ear marks as discussed above. There is more information in the section below ‘Selling Pork and Bacon’.

Judith
    Participant

It all starts with buying your first pedigree registered pig which should have been transfered to you at purchase. If you have only just joined the BPA perhaps you have not received all your information yet that explains the proceedure. You realy want to identify your litter, best and only way as far as I am concerned is by tattoo (out side the left year and inside the right ear which is permanent (There is a good set advertised on the home page) or if you realy prefer by double tagging (round plastic ones best and you can put your herd no on as well) ie by puting one tag in each ear. (you must double tag incase a tag is lost)and notify the BPA thats what you want to do. Then birth notify, once that is done pigs can be called/sold as ped. GOS and anything suitable for breeding (conforming to breed standard) which can be seen on this site, can be registered at anytime during its life. You can also issue a meat certificate with any pigs sold for finishing to prove they are pedigree. All information on BPA web site. If you want more time to get organised you can sell this litter as non pedigree and start with your next litter. They should be identified and birth notified before the are 10 weeks old but at its your first litter if you tell the BPA they may give you more time.

Judith

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Starting Out in Pig Keeping’ is closed to new topics and replies.